QR Inventory is a cloud software with the supplementary mobile application (available for android and ios). Unlike many other inventory tracking systems, QR Inventory web interface and mobile application do not have an identical functionality. Instead, each device is used for what it does best. Smartphones and tablets with QR Inventory mobile application installed are used for the inventory management tasks that are normally done in the field. These tasks include processing of the inventory transactions, stock and item information look up - all functionality that previously was done on the mobile computers. Smartphones are used for the barcode / QR code scanning, data entry and look up. Smartphone's compact size and capabilities: barcode / QR code scanning, data entry, taking photos, recording voice, determining GPS location - makes it a perfect device for this job. Web interface is used for the inventory management tasks that are usually done in the office, require more input / typing and larger screen. These tasks include setting up the inventory management system, printing QR code labels, reviewing inventory reports, etc.
Using QR Inventory Mobile Application For The Field Inventory Tracking
What are the advantages of processing field inventory transactions using a smartphone and barcode scanning?There are quite a few advantages in using barcode scanning mobile application for the assets and inventory tracking:
- Smartphones with the inventory tracking mobile application installed allow you to track assets and inventory anywhere: in the field, on the shop floor, in the warehouse, on the client site - in real time. Smartphones are easy to carry around, so company employees who handle inventory can take a smartphone out of their pocket and record an inventory transaction as it happens.
- Inventory tracking mobile application can be used for the barcode / QR code scanning, data collection and entry, data access in the field, taking photos, collecting electronic signatures and capturing GPS location of the inventory transaction. Barcode scanning ensures fast processing of the field inventory and eliminates manual entry errors.
- Inventory tracking mobile application can connect to the cloud inventory software and update central database in real time.
- By using a smartphone or tablet for inventory barcode scanning you save a lot of money on purchasing specialized inventory management hardware. Company employees can use their own smartphones / tablets for the field inventory tracking.
- Your employees know how to use their own smartphones, so the learning curve for the field inventory tracking is minimal and you become productive fast.
You can find more information on the benefits of using smartphones and a mobile application for the inventory and assets tracking here.
How can I capture photos with the smartphone when recording field inventory transaction?In order to be able to capture photos in the QR Inventory mobile application you need to create a transaction property(ies) of type image. Transaction properties that you create are displayed as a fillable form in the QR Inventory mobile application. An image type field has a series of buttons that allow a user to take a photo with the smartphone camera, select an image from the smartphone photo gallery, review, replace or delete a photo. When a field inventory transaction is submitted a photo is submitted along with it, and can be viewed in the inventory reports. You can create as many image type fields as you need.
How do I obtain and review a signature for the field inventory transactions?After a user submitted an inventory transaction in the QR Inventory mobile application he will see a button Obtain Signature on the confirmation screen. This button provides an option for the user to sign on a smartphone screen and save the sigature, attaching it to the completed inventory transaction. You will be able to view a digital signature in all QR Inventory transactions history reports.
Can I e-mail an inventory packing list / receipt from a smartphone?Yes, QR Inventory mobile application allows you to create a PDF inventory receipt and view / print / e-mail it from a smartphone. You will be able to define how the receipt looks and what is included in it using a custom template. You will need to include the Document Module for this functionality.
Which smartphones can I use for the field inventory tracking?You can use any smartphone or tablet running recent versions of iOS or Android for the inventory and asset tracking. You will be able to use QR Inventory mobile application for scanning any barcoe types that can be readable by a smartphone camera and emcode a unique SKU / part number for each inventory line item.
In the QR Inventory mobile application I am receiving an error that there is not enough inventory in the selected location to perform a transaction, but on the web dashboard I can see that inventory stock is larger than the number I entered?Inventory and assets list on the web dashboard shows inventory stock in all locations (you can click on Breakdown link next to the stock number to check inventory stock breakdown by locations). When you record an inventory transaction on the smartphone in QR Inventory mobile application, you are moving inventory from a specific location. If you are receiving an error message that there is not enough inventory, it means that there is not enough inventory in the from location that you selected for this specific inventory transaction.
I added new fields / transactions / etc. and cannot see them in the QR Inventory mobile application.Please click Download Forms From Server button on the QR Inventory mobile application home screen to download latest information on your smartphone.
How can I undo an inventory or asset transaction if there is an error?You will need to use an inventory adjustment transaction to reverse an erroneous inventory transaction. For example, if you erroneously transferred widget A from the location B to the location C, in the adjustment inventory transaction you will transfer widget A from the location C back to the location A. Inventory stock will be re-adjusted to the correct levels, and both transactions will be recorded - so you have a full inventory accountability.
Can I process an inventory transaction via a web interface?Yes, if you are in the office near the computer you can process an inventory transaction via a QR Inventory software web dashboard. Click the Process Inventory Transaction link in the upper menu to do this.
Mobile Inventory Tracking Using A Handheld Barcode Scanner Connected To A Smartphone
Can I track field iventory using a regular barcode scanner along / instead of a a smartphone?Yes, you can use barcode scanner for inventory tracking if you prefer. As a rule, you may need to use a barcode scanner if you have a high volume inventory transaction, since inventory scanning with a barcode scanner is faster. You can connect a bluetooth barcode scanner to a smartphone, and use barcode scanner with the QR Inventory mobile application. Alternatively, you can connect a barcode scanner to your computer (via a USB port or wirelessly), and process inventory transactions on the computer.
What are the pros and cons of using barcode scanners vs smartphones for the field inventory tracking?Normally, using smartphones works well for the field inventory tracking. However, in some situations a barcode scanner can be more reliable:
- A barcode scanner scans inventory faster. For several inventory items it won't make a big difference, but for the high volume inventory transactions the time saving will become noticeable.
- If your inventory items have two or more barcodes close together you won't be able to focus a smartphone camera on a specific barcode. You will need a regular barcode scanner for scanning a specific barcode.
- Some of the old 1D barcodes cannot be read by a smartphone camera. If your inventory items are already labeled with these barcodes, you will either have to re-label inventory with the QR codes and scan with a smartphone, or use existing barcode inventory labels and scan with the handheld barcode scanner.
You can find more information on using handheld barcode scanners connected to the mobile devices here.